Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Yes, I am mad. The question is... why aren't you?

The owner of a large estate had to leave for a business trip and put his entire estate under the control of his formerly prodigal son over the equally qualified former head rancher.

"I know that you have lived a life of ill repute until recently, but I think you have earned the right to call the shots while I am gone," he told his son. "Our ranch is in good shape. We have a surplus in the bank. We are at peace with all of our neighbors. And business is really good. Our workers are happy right now, so this should be a piece of cake."

As soon as the owner left, his son divided the surplus cash and distributed it amongst his friends as a way to stimulate the local business economy. The workers looked on with some worry as now the ranch had no surplus in case things went wrong. But the son assured them that things were great and that the money spent would come back to them many fold.

But instead, a little more than a year after the owner had left on his trip, a group of vigilantes sneaked into the ranch and burned down one of their barns. Many workers who were inside died and many people who fought the fire died as well. All of the neighbors were incensed and agreed to help the son track down and capture these vigilantes. When the son tracked the vigilantes to a particular farm, they helped him capture that farm and bring the vigilantes to justice. The son was very pleased with what he had done.

Then he decided to attack another farm, claiming that they were planning to attack his farm and that maybe they'd even supported the vigilantes in the first attack. Most of the other farmers were wary of the accusations and the proof that the son provided did not change their minds. The son attacked the farm anyway and easily conquered it, but then had to spend money and hire men to protect the new farm from the former owners family, eager to get revenge for the unwarranted attack. The son poured more men and more money into the neighboring farm to protect it, borrowing heavily from more friendly farms to do so.

When the rainy season came and wiped out part of the son's own ranch, stranding many workers in the process, the son was too occupied with his protection of the other farm to send help. When he started losing buildings and sheep to other farmers because the other farm was bleeding him dry, he simply blamed the former head rancher for everything.

Finally, after eight long years, the owner returned to his ranch and looked on in disbelief. His surplus was long gone. Most of his sheep were owned by his neighbors. One whole section of his ranch had been flooded out and left in a state of disrepair and now he was part owner of a ranch he'd never wanted, nor needed, that was bleeding him dry. And his workers were all fearful of losing their homes and their jobs. He called for his son and demanded an explanation.

"What happened to my home?" he asked.

"Well," the son replied with a goofy smile, "You see... it was all the fault of the angry workers."

"The angry workers? What did they do?"

"They kept telling me I was wrong and that I was doing the wrong thing and they blocked my attempts to do more," the son replied.

"More? Haven't you done enough?"

"No... I was going to dig some more wells so that my friends might have more water to sell, but the angry workers stopped me. And there are a few other farms that I want to try and bring under our sway - they stood up to me and they should pay for that."

"No more, son. I've had enough of your ineptness."

"Very well. I'll simply take my share of the inheritance and retire, but in the meantime, I've got just the person to replace me. He believes exactly as I do and can guarantee you almost exactly the same results!"

"No thanks... I'll pass. I was stupid to put you in charge in the first place. But I've at least learned my lesson now to know that if I want to have a ranch in four years, I sure as hell better find someone better to run it than you or anyone like you."

1 comment:

sage said...

Nice little parable!