Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cool Fantasy Jobs

Someone was talking about a celebrity who had a gigolo on speed dial and it got me to thinking about career paths that we've all fantasized about at one time or another (whether seriously or not). I mean, who didn't want to be a fighter pilot after Top Gun? Or be the captain of a submarine after Hunt for Red October? And I know that I still want to be a Jedi Knight.

So here is my top ten list (in no particular order) of all time best fantasy jobs...

1. Baseball Player (and not some journeyman dude either... I'm talking Babe Ruth!)
2. Ice Cream Tester (come on... you know you wanted to at some point!)
3. Imagineer (Doesn't everyone want to design rides for Disneyland?!)
4. Spy (James Bond makes it look so cool!)
5. Gigolo (But only with incredibly hot women with lots of money!)
6. Movie Star (pretty self explanatory)
7. Astronaut (who doesn't want to bounce on the moon someday?)
8. Fighter Pilot (anyone can be the Red Baron after all)
9. Royalty (I think this is a universal fantasy)

and...

10. Accountant (to play with numbers in columns of A and B and... okay, I'm only kidding ;)

And now for real...

10. Toy Store owner (to think you get to play with toys all day long - like Willy Wonka with toys!)

Most of us, of course, don't get to do these things. We end up as inventory managers or CFO's or lawyers. And, of course, there's always that odd individual job that some people fantasized about - like I always wanted to be a truck driver because you get to spend your entire life traveling, and I think working on a cruise ship could be cool or being a travel agent. But there's the job you want and the job you've got and those two don't always go together.

So, what did you want to be when you grew up?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh but wait - you can be an accountant at a toy store, and be known as a mutant!

(Obscure reference to Mr. Magorium's Toy Emporium...)

But seriously (Hmmm...how serious can you be about a fantasy job list...)

1. Baseball player. Chicks dig the long ball.

2. Football player, but only at quarterback. Scrambling like Joe Montana, throwing the 10 yard out pass, because I have a terrible arm, too...

3. Astronaut. There was that brief moment of wanting to be an aerospace engineer.

Unknown said...

Andy, Magoriums Emporium was a suprisingly great movie. I really thoroughly enjoyed it - but so not for little kids!

My top ten:

1. First female pitcher in the major leagues
2. Actress
3. Singer
4. Kaeto Kaelin - seriously, the guy gets paid just because he couch surfed for awhile.
5. Toy designer/tester
6. Tigger - if I could earn enough, I would want to be the Tigger that just sits on the parade float and waves - twice a day.
7. Monster Truck Driver
8. Dolphin trainer
9. Senator
10. Umm.... full time writer, only succesful at it.