Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Speed Racer (2008) - Three and a Half Wigs



I am not a fan of the anime series that this film is based upon. Not that I hated it, I just never saw it all that much. I was aware of its existence. My ambivalence to this film actually started when I first heard that it was being made and by the same people that did the really great Matrix and equally atrocious Matrix sequels. I was thinking that it was going to suck. The first previews didn't really do anything for me. And I admit that I thought the film might seriously bomb. Still, I was intrigued with the idea of a blockbuster type film intentionally made for a family audience - unlike the horribly written Episode One where it felt like they were trying to sneak it on us. Based on that intrigue, and the fact that my other choice this week was What Happens in Vegas with Ashton Kutcher, I decided to check the film out.

I was very glad I did.

First of all, the film is exactly as advertised - a family friendly cartoon of a film with all soft edges, pretty colors, and nothing in any way, shape or form, that might cause you to think, or form a negative opinion of anything or anybody except bad guys who look like Al Gore. From the very first moments of the film, you will be wrapped in and embraced by a style that's at least 60% computer animation and 20% human animation and 20% editing animation. This film never stops working for you. Its as frenetic as the second Bourne film without the epileptic fits and with just enough downtime in between action scenes to give you a breather, a chance to rush to the bathroom or go get that refill on your popcorn. I only heard a kid whine once and that for only a few seconds before they were once again engrossed.

The basic plot, spoiler free, follows Speed Racer - the second oldest son in the Racer family, who has spent his entire life wanting to get behind the wheel of a race car. Having finally gotten his chance to race and prove that he is a driving genius, he must overcome some evil people to see his dream of winning the Grand Prix completed. In his quest, Speed is aided by his family, his incredible car (the Mach 5), and his long waiting girlfriend, Trixie. To boot, there's a cute kid and monkey for comic relief.

The editing on this film was incredible. The Wachowski Brothers do things with film that I've never seen anyone else do before. They seem to not only embrace computer graphics in their films, but see ways to use them to further an art form that can seem incredibly stagnant at time. They always bring a breath of fresh air to their film making - which doesn't necessarily mean that every film they make is good. This, however, was a very well made film.

The problem with Speed Racer, if you can call it that, is that it never strives to be more than it is. Its a cartoon. A somewhat live action, state of the art computer animated, cartoon, but a cartoon nonetheless. In that end, it achieves what it sets out to achieve with incredible brilliance. But at the end of the day, no matter how good the chef, a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese is still just a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. This film is eye candy and as a result leaves you a little malnourished if you were hoping for a little bit more.

Still, for a cartoon, its very good. If you felt any inclination to see this film before, I'd go see it. It will probably not translate to the small screen very well, so definitely see it in the big theater. If you had no inclination to see this film before, then you certainly won't be missing anything by skipping it. I rated it Three and a Half Wigs because I really enjoyed it. And I think if you go, you will enjoy it too. But if you don't go, it certainly won't be the end of the world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Wachowski bros certainly put a lot of effort into making Speed Racer... the movie overall looked and felt like a cross between anime, a kaleidoscope, that Flintstones movie, a video game and the Dukes of Hazard

Will Robison said...

I think that was the effect they were going for - a pure blend of film, anime, and cartoon. Its not really any one of those and that's what made it really interesting.