Thursday, May 29, 2008

Am I Crazy? I must be...

It occurred to me today that I wasn't writing a three book saga, but a five book saga. The original plan had been for me to write three books. But after four drafts, I broke the first book into three books. That means that now there is the first three books, compromising what used to be the first book, followed by books two and three (now books four and five). Further, I realized that it would actually make more sense for me to figure out what the entire arc of the entire story was and not just come back to books four and five at some later date. It would be irresponsible for me to write three books out of five.

What the heck have I gotten myself into?

Well, it sounds crazier than it actually is. In the actual chronology of writing this story, I was writing book four first when I realized that I needed to write the first three books so that people would know what was going on. The fifth book, which was to be the sequel to the fourth book, was going to wrap up the two part story.

So, basically, I started writing book four first, then I realized I needed book three, then book two, then book one. Then I combined books one, two, and three into one book. Then I wrote the one book but realized that it was too long, so I broke them into three books, of which I am currently finishing book one, and about to start on book two. But I'm now also going to start the synopsis process on book four and five. Clear as mud?

All this is a long way of asking your advice. The first book is called In Full Measure and the name comes from a verse in Isaiah. The second book is called Summer House, Winter House and comes from a verse in Micah (I believe... or Amos). I decided today that based on the storyline for the third book, the title should come from my favorite book in the Bible, Ecclesiastes. Here are the verses I selected and I was wondering which sounded the most Novel Title like to you...

1) With Much Wisdom
2) To The Place Streams Come From
3) In The Place Of Justice
4) The Heart Of The Wise
5) The Same Destiny Overtakes All
and
6) Every Hidden Thing

(And as a bonus, I've decided to give the following Ecclesiastical title to the fourth book, "The Days Of Trouble Come.")

So, if you've ever wanted to influence the naming of a major novel, motion picture, video game, and television spin-off series, now is your chance. Vote for your favorite and let me know why.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Every Hidden Thing.

Cheers.