Friday, May 23, 2008

Half a grand...

Despite the fact that I've had a lot to say the past week, I've been sitting on this post for a while now because, well, it marks my 500th. We like to commemorate big numbers in our human way and I was waiting for the perfect issue to pop up to make the 500th seem more monumental than it actually is.

My first inclination, of course, was to blog about all the milestones and important decisions I've made in my life recently - like the fact that I've taken the plunge into the online dating world again, or the fact that I've decided to retire from Youth Ministry in September, or the ongoing nature of making a film. But why does my blog always have to be about me? Me, me, me... I sound like a song-bird. So I decided to let all that information, and the fact that I recently won a wine-tasting cruise for two, to pass and not comment on it.

My next inclination was to be more witty. I thought of all those great comic book milestones of my youth - ISSUE #500 BATMAN IS DEAD! or ISSUE #500 - MEET SUPERMAN'S ILLEGITIMATE CHILDREN! I was thinking of what sort of life-altering announcement I could make that would really catch people's attention. ISSUE #500 - WILL BECOMES A PRIEST! or ISSUE #500 - MEET WILL'S LONG LOST EVIL TWIN! But, of course, that's just too silly for such a milestone blog.

More recently, I've been trying to figure out what serious issue I could tackle in such an insightful way that people would point to this 500th post as the tide turning of the course of human history. I considered high gas prices (Another 26 cents in one week!) or the upcoming Depression or the issue of free speech as it relates to the sex trafficking problem in the world. And most recently, I considered airing the dirty laundry of my church yet again as it relates to, of all things, the movie GREASE - but decided the entire debate was so ridiculous that it didn't even need commenting and is probably best left unsaid. None of these things, however, were so important to me that I could come up with an insightful argument that wouldn't sound like ranting. And a giant rant is not what I wanted my 500th blog for which that I wanted you to remember (or something like that - English is so damned impossible as a language. That's why I usually speak American.)

Finally, it occurred to me that one of the great things about Blogs is their interactivity. And I know that everyone is headed off to Memorial Day weekend, but I thought it'd be cool for my 500th post, to have you, my loyal readers, decide what my 500th post ought to be about. And so, without further ado...

500th Post CATEGORY:

Name three things of such monumental importance that they are worthy of being the subject of a 500th post that Will ought to write about for his 500th post:

As usual, I will take your answers below.

P.S. I will also accept congratulations, grudgingly, so long as it doesn't offset my usual magnanimous and modest nature...

P.P.S. The Winner of the 2008 Geek Film Championship will be announced next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. Sorry, but you've GOT to talk about church and Grease. You can't mention it and leave us hanging.

2. The fact that the #499th post and the subsequent #501st post are insignificant compared to the power of the Force...I mean, Five Hundredth.

3. Write about timeless and great movie soundtracks that include "Great Spangled Fritillery", "Fanfare for the Common Man, "The Dogs of War", "Running on Ice", and "We'll Be Together."

Anonymous said...

Congrats, dude. I'd write about the state of your novel. How's it coming?

Cheers.