Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mammon

Why does money and power always corrupt? I find that even if you try to have a perfectly sane and normal conversation about money or power, eventually the worst nature of all human beings comes out - on either side of the debate.

I have said things here in the past two posts that I truly believe. But in saying these things, I may have hurt a fellow brother in Christ. I don't know why its hard to have a debate without it devolving into pain and recrimination, but I do know that that was never my intent.

Still, I find it hard to drop the subject. I don't know what part of my ego insists that I am right and that others are wrong, but if that part of my ego is causing pain in others, I need to shut it down. It should have no place in my life.

I recently took over as the Head of the Stewardship Committee at my Church with the one personal caveat that I would be certain this committee did not engage in Church politics. I have seen the corrupting influence it can have on Church committee's even when everyone on the committee is well-intentioned. I suppose I should add that such a mixture of politics and finances in my own life can also have a corrupting influence.

Therefore, I am hereby declaring an end to the discussion of politics and money from now on here at this blog. Neither right wing nor left wing - I shall remain flightless from here on out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will, I had a very long conciliatory comment here that got eaten when I tried to post it.

I'll try again later.

Maybe it made it, but if not,

Cheers.

Undergroundpewster said...

Momma always said don't discuss money, politics, or religion with dinner guests.

Imagine what happens when you try to discuss church money and church politics with company!

Mea culpa!