Friday, October 23, 2009

"From the Archives" Friday

This is probably the best response I can think of to the excellent six part documentary of Monty Python airing this week on IFC. As inspiring as the best of Monty Python is now, it was even more inspirational when I was younger - arriving at a time of comical development in my life. I immediately embraced its sense of anarchy, insanity, and utter silliness. This had a profound effect on my writing. Up until I was wrapped up under this Pythonesque spell, I was mostly a very serious Space Opera type sci-fi writer. Combined with these Python type urges, my writing style was utterly transformed. I became a Space Opera type sci-fi writer with some very strange concepts of humor.

As a result, although I spent the first six years of my writing career trying to write the Great American novel (in the Under 12 category) and failing miserably, as soon as I embraced the sillier side of my writing embrace, it was only a mere 18 months before I was writing my first novel length story (with some friends who have asked to remain anonymous).

Anyway, my thought this week was to start selecting some of the funnier bits out of these old writings. Humor, of course, being subjective (I found this stuff hilarious in High School ;) you might differ in your opinion of what is funny. So that's why I've decided to spare you by only printing small chunks and only on Fridays.

So here is the first of my new From The Archives selections:

We interrupt this program for an editorial statement from a concerned reader...

To whom it may concern... It has come to my attention that recently students at campuses such as UC Berkeley and Stanford have been staging riots and protests. Now there is nothing wrong with that, its the way they're doing it.

The other day I walked over to a local college and saw a guy walking in a circle, by himself, carrying a Gucci picket sign with the words, "Make Love; Not Dr. Pepper," written on it. What sort of protest is this anyway? Aren't our American youth protesting in peaceful ways? Is this what America has been reduced to, a nation of peaceniks? Why John Wayne would spit in his grave! I say the only way to a commie terrorist apartheid person's heart is through his guts. So let's drop those picket signs and grab picket axes and let's show the world what American protesters are made of.

Sincerely,
A Concerned Reader

The views expressed are not necessarily the views of management. But that doesn't mean that they ain't...

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...
Fritz Jordan and The Martian Papers
Chapter Seven: Too Close
(1985)
William Robison

Come back next week for yet more silliness... and have a good weekend.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Brilliant stuff! Can't wait till next Friday.

Andy said...

More! More! More!

Bravo! Now how 'bout some quotables from some little story that heads out to some distant Polynesian island???

Will Robison said...

I've been reading stuff from FJ all day (since I have the book here with me) and a great deal of it is High School crap (I was right to sense that way back then), but there's actually some rather good absurd stuff in there - a poker game with Idi Amin, Yassar Arafat and Moamar Gaddafi, and a pretty funny scene involving a laser and an escape attempt. There's also some pretty funny short sequences and witty replies.

Beyond that, though, I know I'll be delving into bombs that aren't pizza boxes, mad scientist's assistants trying to fight their way out of Hell, stolen rickshaws, and other absurb TAC humor in the coming weeks of ICON.

Not only is it good to take the occasional trip down memory lane, its also a good reminder that once I was funny.

Anonymous said...

Been away with a cold. This is a weekly feature then?

Good.

Cheers.