Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Spell is Broken by Danny Ho!

As I listened to the sweet refrains of Nothing Compares 2 U as performed in Hawaiian by Danny Ho, son of Don Ho, at the end of the film Forgetting Sarah Marshall I suddenly realized what an idiot I've been - living a demitasse life while accomplishing some pretty remarkable feats. It occurred to me that if I poured one ounce of the courage I showed in going out and making my first film into the rest of my life, there was literally nothing I couldn't accomplish - which is probably rubbish, but anything sounds good when Danny Ho is singing.

In the meantime, however, my life is starting to become consumed with the obsession that is DANE - our next film. We have been working these last five weeks or so on a workable synopsis while at the same time hashing out such important details as to which character gets which gun and just how corrupt is our corrupt cop. Its things like this that make you long for the days when you can do something simple, like set up three lights, gel them, get the correct color temperature and f-stop and exposure time and make sure the shadows don't fall anywhere you don't want them and don't forget the negative fill and... ahhh filmic bliss! Writing is hard. Filming is easy. Danny Ho is still singing and that last statement still sounds good.

Up next, besides a week spent snowbound river side with a beer, a pole, and a charbroiled hot dog, is the crewing of DANE as we film our first Character Study and play around with things like Par Cans and HMI's and other assorted things. Costume dramas and prop fatigue and set dressing and script revisions and late actors and late crew and hair pulling and permission wrangling... ahhh heavenly producing! Keep it coming Danny Ho! Nothing Compares 2 U!

The Great Recession is upon us all and we stab at its belly but we can taste its smelly underside as it flattens us. Its going to be a while before we work our way out from under its girth. What a great time to start a film company! What a liberating time for spending frivolously on a film! What an incredible opportunity to throw your money away on something other than Ponzi schemes, Disney Fan Clubs, and the enabling of Pro-Athletes steroid habit! We've raised 0 Dollars so far and only have $10,000 to go! Be the first on your block to join DANE 09 - the exclusive DANE fan club for people with money! Put on some Danny Ho and sign those stimulus checks over to me!

Ah... to be young and in love again... I guess I'll just have to settle for being young!

No comments: