Tuesday, March 06, 2007

She's Rich...

Errrh!
I'm listening.
She's rich, powerful... look, if you were to rescue her, the reward would be...
What?
Well more than you can imagine.
I don't know, I can imagine quite a bit.

And all you have to do to get this treasure is pretend to be stormtroopers, break into a prison cell block, shoot up all the guards, rescue Princess Leia, escape from the trash compactor, escape from the Death Star, fight off tie fighters, and then dogfight with the Death Star until it is destroyed. Simple.

How well can you imagine that treasure? Well... that's nothing!

I've only just started in John Piper's "Desiring God" or How To Become A Christian Hedonist, but he had me hooked with one thought - God isn't disappointed that we think so highly of earthly pleasures. He's disappointed because we aim so low.

Or, in other words, we're easily amused. We think we can imagine quite a bit, but God's treasures are infinitely more vast, infinitely superior, infinitely more satisfying than anything we can imagine.

Wow.

I can imagine quite a bit, but I'm not sure I can imagine that much. I used to think that to be a Christian on Earth meant that you had to suffer. Treasures were to be stored in Heaven - a bank account like a post-retirement account. On Earth, we were to be dirt poor and we were to love our enemies and we were to look like Ghandi and die like so many millions of martyrs. Where's the fun in that? But Piper has opened my eyes. God doesn't want us to not enjoy our pleasures and suffer. He wants us to enjoy His pleasures and celebrate!

What might those pleasures be? Love, instead of sex, for one. Family instead of lonliness. Prayer instead of solitude. Joy instead of depression. All the things that we embrace for pleasure are nothing as to what God can give us if we just ask Him.

Piper says it better though. I'd buy this book and see what he has to say.

Will - Out!

P.S. I got the internship. I will be working for a for real TV show come April which you'll be able to watch come August. I'll give you more details as I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the internship. I assume now you'll go out and buy a lot of sunglasses and a convertible.

Cheers.