Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I'm Feeling Ecclesiastical

Christmas time is here. Happiness and cheer. My favorite time of year. I wish I had a beer. Try not to sneer. Or to hit a deer. Hot elves make me leer. And no, I'm not queer. I meant female elves, you hear?

My apologies to Charles Schultz. I see nothing. I know nothing. My mind is adrift in the lackadaisical leanings of a post-election coital and I'm just floating along, looking down, and realizing that what I most want for Christmas this year is meaning. Good old fashioned black and white clearly contrasted Meaning.

Its all so pointless really. And I just can't shake the feeling. Rampant consumerism. Rampant politics. Rampant blaming. Rampant talking heads. Rampant rampantness. Its all so... rampant. I feel like setting traps, capturing a few rampants, and throwing them in the trash.

I want meaning. I want just an ever so tiny sliver of the real world God promises, now. Just a peak really. Just a whiff. I want to feel sunlight on my face. I want to feel some warmth in my heart that I don't suspect as a clever ploy to get me to part with money or to vote for your candidate. I don't want Hollywood special effects. I want nitty gritty. I want the bachelor to be human. I want to put real back into reality. I want value.

But there's none of it here. In the bright baubles of fake trees and lights, in the tinny ring of salvation bells, in the chemical smell of faux sugary sweets, there is nothing of meaning, there is nothing of value, there is no God.

I want God, not something that's ten times better than God for half the price! I want God, not some oversized promise of God that's better for my health. I want God, not some washed out politically correct mind scrub of God.

See... my mind is in a dark place, surrounded by nothing but shadows, and I can't find the light source.

It's all meaningless without God.

2 comments:

Andy said...

Methinks you are buried in Ecclesiastes, no?

It is all a chasing after the wind.

Will Robison said...

Sometimes through the haziness of a bad dream, you can glimpse some bit of reality that you hadn't paid attention to before. I'm not sure why I went all ecclesiastical, but it was a nice gentle reminder of what its all about.