Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tying up loose ends

At age 42, I am not a writer. I am not a film maker. I am not much of a office drone. I'm not exactly sure what I am, but I'm not any of these things that I set out to be. I'm either on one of the longest training programs ever invented, or I've been fiddling away while my life clock burns. But I was not completely cognizant of these obvious facts until God decided to drop a little bombshell in my midst - a drop of perspective and a new challenge.

About 8 weeks ago, while I was minding my own business at a mostly boring Presbytery Meeting, God told me to become a Commissioned Lay Pastor.

Now, before you all freak out and start giving me excuses, I want to save you a bit of time... I had the exact same reaction. Wait one minute here, God, did I hear you correctly? Did I understand it correctly? Is this some metaphor for changing my life? I was confused and desperate for clarification.

I started with research. The CLP program was started by the Presbytery mostly as a way for lay people to help out as Pastors in situations where no current Pastor could do the job. For instance, if a Church decided to offer a Spanish Language service, they might call a CLP that spoke Spanish if no regular pastor was available to do the job. In time, the CLP program had developed to include all sorts of Mission related calls that might need pastors - calls for CLP's to reach out to a local residential living home or a teenage program of at-risk youth, etc... Each CLP is associated with a specific church and their pastor's abilities apply only to their specific call.

I didn't have a call, per se. God told me to be a CLP, but He didn't suggest that there was a specific reason for one. I asked around to see if I'd missed something. Nope. No CLP needed.

In the meantime, I started some soul searching and came to the conclusion above. This was not a pity party, but just an acknowledgement that if my life was going to matter in some way to the Earth I will one day leave behind, it probably won't be as a writer, film-maker, or office-drone. Being able to relegate these things to a new proper place in my life, made me realize that I'd not only not reached my potential, but had, in many ways, stagnated.

AHA! I thought! This was a wake up call by God to realize my true potential. Thanks, God... I'm glad that's all it was... I would have been a terrible CLP, and...

The problem was, the CLP idea wouldn't go away. It occurred to me that whether I wanted to be a CLP or not was irrelevant. God had already written it on my heart. But maybe I'd misunderstood. Maybe, secretly, deep down inside in places I didn't want to think about, I had always somehow harbored some thought of becoming a CLP and it had just chosen that particular moment to bubble up and latch on. Didn't Freud say something about this?

The next day the cover of Presbyterian Monthly magazine at church blared, "Answering God's Call..." and that Sunday, the sermon topic was all about Jonah and Abraham and Moses answering God's call... So, maybe it was all a coincidence... but just in case...

I talked to Pastor J.D. about it. He told me about the program, asked me all the same questions I'd already asked myself, and seemed convinced that while I might not know the answers, I was certainly sincere in asking the questions. He said that I was in a period of Investigation - trying to understand God's call to myself.

I asked God bluntly the next day, Did I just make this up? Is this really what you want? Was I imagining the whole thing? I got my perfect answer that night.

On my way home, I had a sudden thought (in hindsight, it was as sudden and as clear as the thought that I should become a CLP) that Matt Cain was going to pitch a no-hitter that night. It wasn't that it was a stretch to imagine that Matt Cain could pitch a no-hitter. He can pitch a no-hitter any time he takes the hill. He's really good. It was the clarity and the certainty of the conviction in my head that made it stand out in my mind. In fact, as I got home and got out of my car, I thought, "I should probably watch the game tonight." But I didn't, because I had work to do. Of course, Matt Cain not only threw a no-hitter, he threw a Perfect Game.

I realized the next day that God had given me my answer. Just as there was no logical way I would have ever had a thought that I should become a CLP, there was no logical reason why I would have suddenly thought, Matt Cain's going to throw a no-hitter tonight. I've had these bizarre "premonitions" before, but few with the clarity and insight that I'd had on those two occasions. God was letting me know that I hadn't imagined things.

Okay. I'm committed now. To what? I still don't know. Since I never saw this coming, I really don't have any idea where I'm going next.

In the meantime, I'm tying up loose ends. I've been rushing to finish two movies before the end of summer. Those are the main two obligations I have left from my old life. I will continue to write, continue to make amateur films, and continue to be an office drone, but I will no longer consider these things to be the end result of my life. God has called me to do something different now. Who am I to ignore such a call?

8 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

Good luck Will. I answered a similar call a few years ago. I often wonder where it will lead, but I do not worry because I trust the caller.

Will Robison said...

I wouldn't mind ministering to the truly lost souls at a nice resort somewhere that wants to pay me scads of cash to be their moral compass... but I suspect God has other plans. ;)

Dave Lamb said...

Wow! Kick Ass Will takes over for a few weeks and look what happens.

The thought must have occurred - you've got a great seminary just up the road, why stop at CLP?

Will Robison said...

The thought had occurred... but there are several reasons why that won't be the case.

1) God was very specific. Lord knows why? He didn't say become a Pastor. He clearly said CLP. Weird.

2) Seminary costs money - a lot more than I have. I'm not looking for a new career, nor am I in a position to start all over again. Who would pay my bills while I studied?

3) Seminary would mean a complete change in my life. In theory, a CLP can be somewhat of a part time gig - though I don't suspect that God has that in mind. At least, in my corner, I'm resistant to the idea of a complete life transformation. But I realize that God probably has much bigger things planned than I can imagine.

Which comes back to your original question... maybe God is setting me up for that very same step and He's just easing me into it.

Dave Lamb said...

One word: scholarships.

Will Robison said...

Oh and P.S....

Kick Ass Will had to take over because Creative Will would never have made this decision. In truth, Kick Ass Will was awoken in part because of this "crisis". Creative Will is too invested in the World to leave it all behind and is resisting this action with almost every fiber of his being.

Dave Lamb said...

I would be very happy to have either Will as my lay pastor.

Andy said...

I'm with Dave. I'd be happy to have you as my pastor AND I think God's asking you to take a much bigger step of faith than you realize.

Sorry dude...but full time school's in your future. Seminary, that is.