Friday, January 06, 2012

Climbing out of the pit

At lunch today:

Me: You know a friend of mine was showing me a want-ad on Craig's List for a Publishing Assistant. It pays $40K a year. I wonder if I could do the job part time like at night or something...

My Human Resources Person: $40K a year is not enough to live on.

Me: :{

My Human Resources Person: (Oblivious)

Me: (To myself) I only make $30K a year now...

This is the crux of my problem. I live in one of the most expensive places on the entire planet and make a salary that, quite frankly, is laughable. Heck, I know kids fresh out of college with no damn experience in anything that make more money than I do. If I were to walk around town with my salary printed on my forehead, people would look at me in shock and assume there was a typo.

BUUUUTTTTT, that being said, I don't consider myself poor. I have a great network of friends and family that keep me sane. I know lots of people that have helped me for free and others that I have helped as well. Since giving is greater than receiving and I spend every free dollar I have giving back, I guess I've achieved something that richer and smarter people will never have.

I'm tired of maxing out my bank account though. I'm tired of limiting my potential because of my salary. I need other sources of income - which is what started this conversation today. If I'm going to climb out of the pit of working poverty, I don't have to work harder, I just have to work smarter.

So if you've read this far then you should know that I've installed a virus on your computer and have completely raided your entire bank account by now. Thanks. My new plan is to become an evil super-villain.

Okay, that was a lie. I wish I was that smart. I guess it's back to the old tried and true work harder. Somehow I've got to find someone that's willing to pay me twice as much for doing what I already do now for half. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Undergroundpewster said...

Good luck and thanks for giving me one more reason to not do any on-line banking!

Anonymous said...

Dude. I could live on 40K and be quite comfortable. You need to get the heck out of California and move somewhere reasonable. It's not the Bay, but the worries are reduced by a factor of 10.

Cheers.

Will Robison said...

Randall:

Don't I know it. But the three problems with that are 1) I don't have enough to move anywhere. 2)Even if I did, I don't have a job somewhere else that pays $40k a year. And 3) My debt amount is tied to the area I live, so I'd actually have to have more than $40k per year in order to continue paying off my debt and have enough money to live on $40k a year.

That being said, I would totally love to move somewhere else (even though I would miss SF completely) if there was a job waiting for me that paid enough for me to survive. I have applied for a couple of jobs out of state, but have not been lucky so far.

Andy said...

Dude! Williston, North Dakota! Check it out!