Monday, November 23, 2009

Some things I hate to admit...

1) Babe Ruth's homerun record is supreme. Hank Aaron broke his in a different era. So too did Barry Bonds. Oh's record, while superior to all, was done in Japan. Likewise I think anyone that set a homerun record at Coor's Field would be questionable. Of course, the whole idea of records from one era to the next is kind of sketchy. I imagine the "world's fastest man" would probably have been outstripped by a Inuit of 35kya trying to outrun a saber-toothed tiger.

2) OJ was probably guilty. So was Barry Bonds. Problem is, I don't think I'll ever truly know since a) OJ's case was botched by a bad prosecution and b) Barry will likely never get his day in court. Thus I am forced to make my conclusions based upon speculation. Of course, that kind of conclusion while it might seem correct in these two cases is also what gives up a large group of people that also believe that Obama was born in Kenya and that the government blew up the WTC in order to go to war with Iraq. So speculation is never ideal.

3) Abortion is wrong. I know where I stand on this politically. And I know where I stand on this based upon my upbringing. But I find it hard to fathom how killing potential life can be right under any circumstance. I also realize that I will never have to make such an impossible decision for myself and, as such, I find myself horribly conflicted in choosing between the lesser of two evils.

4) Obama has been rather mediocre thus far. I'm not one of these guys that says let's tar and feather the communist and run him out of town. Quite the contrary. In fact, I'd say that no President before and hopefully no President after this, shall have had such a deficit of things to overcome just to get back to square one. Even FDR taking over from Hoover had more to work with. However, that doesn't change the fact that so far lots has been done and the only change I can see in my own life is that I still have a job - barely. Treading water during a tsunami may keep you going for a short time but eventually you're still going to drown. We all need a life preserver... not just big banks.

5) I hate being poor. Too often I look with envy on those people who make double what I make (or even more) and wish that I had what they have. Even just not having to worry about things like spending money would make me happier, I tell myself. Of course, I know that its all a trap - that the more that you have, the more that you spend, and the more immune you become to the suffering of others. Even now, I make more money than some third world villages do in an entire year, and yet I am not happy. So, its probably a good thing that I remain "poor", since I would not know what to do with more money anyway.

6) I am getting burnt out. I have spent my entire life being creative. It is all I know. It is part of who I am. Yet, lately, I find that I'm much happier letting others be creative for me. I would rather vegitate in front of the TVand be entertained than do any entertaining myself. *sigh* I am finally becoming like everyone else - only without as much money ;)

2 comments:

Dave Lamb said...

This covers a lot of ground. I’m not qualified to respond to some things. For instance, I’m not a bit time baseball fan, so can’t knowledgably about the greats of the past and present. But I do feel geographically required to kick a small amount of dirt on your shoes for your slap at Coors Stadium. It’s in Denver, right?

I’m in the same boat as you on abortion. Much as I hate to minimize a life or death issue, I don’t think that abortion is the most important thing that should fire up our moral ire. It generates way more heat than light. We should, instead, be fired up about the social pathology that makes abortion seem like an option to some people. But that deals with evil on a societal level – hard to figure out where to point the finger. Mostly, it should point back at us I should think.

Obama’s failure to make anybody happy probably stems from his pledge to be everybody’s president, not just the president of the left. I do hope for a bold move from him, though. Perhaps it will come with his decision regarding troops in Afghanistan.

Your observations about the relative poverty of yourself and people in third world nations is well taken and keeps things in a certain perspective. However, that line of thinking can get you down. It can be guilt producing. I don’t think this guilt is what God wants for you. This is what the beatitudes are about. Or at least the first one. When you’re at your lowest point, God is there, despite all evidence to the contrary. So veg out a little and experience God’s blessing. Your mission, your creativity, your real life is still there. You will come back to it and it to you.

Will Robison said...

Thanks Dave. Your comments were spot on.

Except for the part about baseball in Denver. Just too darn high. If you've got to use a special humidifier on the ball just to make the game "fair" then there's something wrong. Not to say that they have a competitive advantage (a tiny one maybe, but more associated to being used to the altitude) but baseball players do have an advantage over the long term because their stats are going to be generally much higher in Denver. Likewise, their pitching stats are going to be much worse.