Friday, June 19, 2009

Pre-Production Begins on Dane!

This morning I received the final pages of the Dane script. For the last month or so, Andrew Navarro and I have been writing up a storm as we've taken the synopsis and fleshed it out into a full fledged script. We've had some stumbles along the way, but nowhere near as many as we did on the Twelve Step Jedi script. Overall, this is one heck of a good script. Can it be improved? Sure. And we've got five weeks to do that. But, in the meantime, it's good to go. And I can't wait for you all to see it on the screen.

So now begins the process called pre-production. Over the next five weeks we need to cast the movie, crew the movie, find locations, get costumes, get money, get equipment, figure out the logistics, etc... so that we can start shooting on the weekend of July 24th (one year to the day since we started shooting Twelve Step Jedi).

Because we have many different locations on this particular film, we won't have a single long shoot of 10 to 12 days, but will have to spread out the shooting over several weekends. Every weekend, we'll try to shoot at as many locations as possible - though certain locations may take more than one weekend to finish shooting. We're going to start breaking down locations to determine what exactly we need, but if any of you know of a wide open space that nobody is using and would be perfect for set construction, please let me know.

While I don't have an exact number of pages yet, the film looks to be between 80 and 90 minutes long, and has a fairly decent sized cast made up of mostly small (single weekend) parts. But there are a small group of characters who are in just about every scene. We're locking those actors in now and will start looking to fill the other parts later.

For my part, I need to lock down the script, then break it down logistically, then budget it, then get it funded, then find a crew, then actually prepare to make the film. There's a lot of work ahead for me, but I'm not worried because I can already see the end product in my mind... and Dane is going to kick some serious booty!

No comments: