Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Production Diary: Day Four - The Mockudrama!

I think that title best describes what is fast becoming a hybrid of a project. It started as a mockumentary, then we added a storyline to this comedy and its now got all the elements of a drama with humor... so, I guess its sort of a mockudrama.

Yesterday was a relatively easy day which is why I managed to get home and be in bed in time for Headlines on the Tonight Show. Still, we worked really hard and continued to have technical difficulties. We had another two new crew members - Guy and Marenie - both from City College and previously in my sound class and cinematography class. Guy ran the camera and Marenie helped me with the sound. We had sound issues on a couple of early scenes, which we straightened out after that, and our camera started making weird noise near the end, so we switched out with Guy's newest version of the same camera. I'm hoping to solve all those problems today, as I'll be behind camera for the first time.

We mostly shot the back story scenes for characters last night - especially the character of Monica (played admirably by Audrey). But we also finally started adding scenes for the two montage sequences later in the film - including a short cameo by my kindergarten bound nephew, Joshua (which was really cute, but might end up on the cutting room floor... we'll see).
The dialog scenes were mostly cute ones so the atmosphere was nice and light all evening, no dramatics. And it allowed us to do some fancy stuff with the camera with my new film makers. Having worked with them in class, I knew them to be the types that wanted to push boundaries. So if you see any cool camera angles and shots in the film, chances are you'll be able to thank them for the footage.

Of course, I'm behind the camera tonight and so, who knows? I may go all Scorsese on them tonight!

I figure after all this shooting, we're still below 25% done. That should change tonight as we get a large chunk of shots out of the way.

See you all tomorrow.

No comments: