Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Lord's Moving Company

The Lord moves in mysterious ways indeed... and gets us to move as well. For the first time in over ten years, I had a really strange thought last night - It's ridiculous to be as old as I am and still be living at home with my parents.

Now, to be fair, there are many reasons I've never had this thought. First of all, there is just no way I can afford to live in the San Francisco Bay Area. If I scraped together every spare nickel I had, I couldn't even afford rent. The friends that I have that do rent apartments (or parts of apartments) all live month to month just to pay the rent. They exist. They don't LIVE. And as for buying or owning a home? Forget about it. Without some serious infusion of cash into my life, that will never happen. So, that's the major reason I live at home with my parents - its economical to do so. If I had to leave, I would move out of state - a long ways out of state - the further from California, the better.

Second, my parents are getting older and they really need help around the house and in the backyard. When they're on vacation, I look after the house and the pets and what not. But even when they're home, I am there as a helper - a fall back position for errands, and construction work, and all sorts of other projects.

Third, I get along really well with my parents as we have a lot in common. This is one reason I have never felt strange or ashamed about living at home before. In terms of roommates, you couldn't ask for a better pair than my parents (and they keep to themselves).

That being said, this thought came to me last night out of the clear blue, and I knew it was more than just a thought. It was a suggestion. A hint. A, dare I say it, command. God was telling me that it was nearly time to move on - to move out.

The question is... where? As I pointed out, economically I can't afford to even live in my car. So, I'm not sure what He has in mind. But I will keep you posted.

4 comments:

Andy said...

Was it to move on or move out, or both? Clearly, with what you are doing right now, God's giving you some ideas about moving ON...which isn't the same as moving OUT.

Then again, He's really good about moving us OUT of our comfort zones...

Anonymous said...

Big guy, you could always move here and become a Cardinal fan.

Cheers.

Steve Sinai said...

Move in with Andy!!

Will Robison said...

Andy - how right you are.

Randall - let's not get desperate.

Steve - I'm not sure his kids want to share a room with me ;) I hog the blankets.