Friday, December 18, 2009

I'm too tired to think of anything clever...

I hate GAP. I hate their smug little "holiday" commercial. I hate any song that makes light of this season. I hate the atheists who are trying to hijack my Christmas by making it seem as if I'm an ogre for reminding people that there wouldn't be a Christmas without Christ. There's no hope without Christ either, but I'm not going to harp on that.

I like egg nog and Santa and Christmas shopping and all the commercial aspects of Christmas, but I adore advent calendars and wreaths and children dressed up like angels and all of those wonderfully glorious Christmas hymns. I don't mind if people of other faiths and beliefs (or lack thereof) want to enjoy Christmas too. But don't try and take my holiday from me because I happen to take it seriously. For you this might be all fun and games and football and food and cheap TV's under a fake plastic tree. For me this is a holy season that is supposed to bring out the best in humanity - peace, love, joy, and hope. You can have all of these things too at no extra charge, but I'm afraid you will have to embrace a bigger picture of Christmas than some Saturday evening holiday special can give you on a cable channel.

So to those who are trying to destroy Christmas in order to preserve their holiday, I say back off. You don't have to believe that Jesus is the reason for the season, but don't try to ruin it for the rest of us... or so help me, I'll make it my mission to go to every public school in the country and tell all the kids that there's no such thing as Santa Claus. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The fact of the matter is, anyone who would be offended by a heartfelt, "Merry Christmas" is nothing but a poor, sad, pitiful human.

Or, to put it another way, a dick.

Cheers.

Captain Proton said...

I have noticed changes over the past ten years, at least here in SF. It's not people protesting about how Christians are ruining Christmas. I see it as people for the last decade being in fear, fear of the future, fear of zero of tolerance and someone "going nuclear" on an issue to smack the offending soul back into his place.

On the lighter side, here's a song about the subject: http://www.6lyrics.com/music/toby_keith/lyrics/have_i_got_a_present_for_you1.aspx

Anonymous said...

I'm away for a few days, so Merry Christmas, my friend.

Cheers.